Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 20

Morning

139 lbs bitches! (Mom – that’s an endearing term in this context.) :) Woohoo! Finally! The bad news is that I woke up very stopped up with a sinus headache. I had 4 green apple slices with a teaspoon of almond butter so that I could take some medicine. That’s kind of disappointing since I haven’t had to take my sinus meds in a little over a week. Still, that’s the longest I’ve gone without those meds in years! I continued with my morning routine despite the headache. I actually did more meditation than normal – 15 minutes, guided – 10 minutes of which was focused on the body healing itself and the remaining 5 on self-love. I also took a hot shower after lemon/cayenne water, morning pages, neti pot, meditation and dry brushing. That helped…I made it really hot! I was out of a lot of green juice supplies and would be busy for most of the day doing UIL grading again, so I packed up some apples, gluten free crackers and trail mix to take for the day. As soon as I got to the school (around 10:45), I had one of the apples. Oh yeah, I got some “real” coffee earlier this morning since caffeine helps with migraines, which I was afraid my headache was trying to become. Thankfully it didn't. By the time I got to the school it had subsided.


Lunch

We were provided boxed lunches again at the UIL competition – a veggie sandwich. I ate that, but gave away the chips and cookie and had my nut thin crackers instead. I love that the two people I grade with also have the vegetarian lunch!


Snacks

I had a bit of my homemade trail mix...that stuff is so good! I'll be making that forever!


Evening

Once the day of grading was complete, I headed straight to Whole Foods to get stocked up. I truly love that place! I get a sense of calm and happiness as soon as I walk in the doors. Anyway, I stocked up on all my veggies as well as some new vegan foods to try throughout the week. I may branch out a bit this week with some new options. Technically tomorrow is the last day of my cleanse, but I'm going to continue this lifestyle as the norm, creating room for exceptions. Weekdays especially will be very similar to what I've done over the past 3 weeks, probably 90% so, and weekends will still consist primarily of my new ways with room for exceptions if situations arise that I wish to be vegetarian instead of vegan or eat gluten or have wine or whatever. The point is this cleanse has pointed me in the direction of a lifestyle that I was meant to live. I've never been more certain of anything. I've started doing more and more research regarding the relationship between disease and nutrition, and the evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of a plant-based diet, especially an organic one, and even more so one that is primarily raw (including juicing). Knowledge is power and I am gaining it in this subject area and will continue to do so, as it completely fascinates me and I'm very passionate about it. I don't know where it will lead me in life, but I think there's something there for me...
This was all confirmed as I watched a documentary called The Beautiful Truth, about The Gerson Therapy - a highly successful alternative cancer therapy that has been healing cancer patients since the 1940's, including those sent away from the Mayo Clinic to die. Not surprising, his therapy includes primarily a raw, organic, plant-based diet...and strangely enough coffee enemas. I know! Sounds crazy right?! Try telling that to all the patients that are still alive!
While watching the doc, I enjoyed an Amy's gluten free pizza with non-dairy cheese, to which I added green and red bell peppers, shitake mushrooms, black olives, red onion and fresh tomatoes. I also had some mineral water with lime as a mocktail. A couple of hours after dinner, I made 2 ounces of wheatgrass juice and did a couple of shots of that. I've been taking a superfood supplement, but thought I would do the liquid chlorophyll tonight.

I think my evening meditation will be a bit longer than usual. I feel the need to reflect on my health and marinate in gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment